The explorer, Allan Cunningham, discovered the Macintyre River during an expedition in 1827. He named the river after Captain Peter MacIntyre of the Hunter River. The MacIntyre family had provided Cunningham with horses and drays for the expedition, and Captain MacIntyre had also guided Cunningham across the Liverpool Range.
Years before Goondiwindi existed, three grazing properties joined at a spot near where the town now stands. They were Callandoon, Umbercollie and Old Goondiwindi, all settled between 1838 and 1846.
The name Goondiwindi comes from the Aboriginal word "Goonawinna" which means "the resting place of birds". This name was first given by the Aboriginals to a spot near the present site of the Goondiwindi Hospital. Before the Macintyre River was weired, the river was little more than a chain of waterholes connected only in good seasons. These waterholes were favourite resting places of hundreds of wild birds, hence the name.
For many years after the town was formed, there was no bridge over the river. All traffic coming from New South Wales (unless it crossed near Boggabilla) was pulled over in a punt, with a rope being stretched across the river. The first bridge was built between 1875 and 1878 and was replaced by the present structure in 1914.
Explorer Allan Cunningham has been accredited with discovering the Inglewood area. He passed through east of the present township in May 1827. Station holdings selected as early as 1848 were the start of the wool, cattle and wheat base of the region.
The first settlement near an important watering point for bullocks teams moving west was known as Browns Inn. Plans were drawn up for the present site and the name changed to Inglewood. "Ingle" is believed to be an Aboriginal word for Cypress Pine.
Texas was named arising out of a dispute over a land claim in the 1850's, which, at the time bore similarities to a dispute taking place when the Republic of Texas in the USA was fighting over land with Mexico. The land was called Texas Station and subsequently the old town of Texas originated on the river flats in 1875, near where the present town is today. The town was relocated after disastrous floods in 1890 and 1921.
A colourful history of the Texas area is well recorded at the Texas Historical Museum (located in Flemming Street) and in very informative publications written by our local Authors and Historians.