Plumbing and Drainage Plumbing and Drainage

Water & Sewerage Customer Service Standards (PDF)

DEWS KPI Swim Report (PDF)

Drinking Water Quality Management Plan Report 2015/2016 (PDF)


A plumbing approval is required for all new plumbing and drainage work or alterations/additions to existing infrastructure. Plumbing work can only be undertaken by a licensed plumber/drainer.

Existing Drainage Plans

You can request a copy of an existing drainage plan for a property by contacting Council on (07) 4671 7400.


Application forms for all types of development are available from the Department of Housing and Public Works.

New Plumbing Laws - 1 November 2012

On 1 November 2012, a new category of plumbing and drainage work called "notifiable work" commenced. Notifiable work must be performed by a plumber/drainer licensed by the Plumbing Industry Council, but will not require permits or mandatory inspections by Council.

Notifiable work includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including:

  • Kitchen and bathroom additions and renovations
  • Installing or replacing hot water heaters including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heaters
  • Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home
  • Extending or altering pipe work.


Fact Sheet for Consumers
Fact Sheet for Industry
Fact Sheet for Local Government

Plumbing & drainage inspections

You can book an inspection by phoning (07) 4671 7400 or faxing (07) 4671 7433.

Backflow Prevention Devices

Council keeps a register of all backflow prevention devices. For information on testing and registering backflow prevention devices click here.

Further information

For enquiries relating to plumbing & drainage issues within property boundaries call the Plumbing & Drainage section on (07) 4671 7400 or fax (07) 4671 7433.